Benefits of Filler Injections
Growing older may be inevitable, but many of us don’t like seeing the signs of aging. Time slowly wears down the body and the skin. Your face will be one of the first places you’ll notice wrinkles. There are tons of wrinkle and anti-aging creams out there, but in the past few years, more men and women have gravitated towards non-surgical anti-aging treatments such as Botox and dermal fillers, says Dr. Boals, a dentist in Colorado Springs. In this article, the team at Kissing Camels Family Dentistry shares the biggest benefits of filler injections.
Botox and Dermal Fillers
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Botox and dermal fillers are quite popular, accounting for more than 9 million procedures in 2015. Botox is a purified form of botulinum, a toxin that is obtained from bacteria. Although deadly in fatal amounts, the tiny dose administered by Dr. Boals is safe and effective.
Once injected into the muscle, the toxin blocks nerve signals, temporarily freezing or paralyzing the muscle. As there is little to no movement in the muscle, wrinkles may be softened, reduced, or even removed. Botox can only work on wrinkles that are caused by muscle movement, known as dynamic wrinkles or expression lines. These include the wrinkles on the upper face, horizontal lines on the forehead, and crow’s feet around the eyes. They are caused by smiling, frowning, squinting, and other facial expressions. Dermal fillers, on the other hand, are substances injected beneath the surface of your skin to add volume and fullness.
Fillers are commonly used for:
- Plumping up thinning lips
- Enhancing or fill in shallow areas on the face
- Fill in or soften the recessed scars
- Decrease or remove shadows or wrinkles under the eyes.
Most dermal fillers on the market include either of the following substances:
- Hyaluronic acid. It is found in some fluids and tissues that add plumpness to the skin.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite, a mineral-like compound present in bones.
- Polyalkylimide, a bio-compatible transparent gel.
- Polylactic acid which stimulates the skin to produce more collagen.
- Polymethyl-methacrylate micro-spheres (PMMA), which is a semi-permanent filler.
What are the Benefits of Filler Injections?
Filler injections have become incredibly popular over the past few years, and for a good reason, says Dr. Boals, a cosmetic dentist in Colorado Springs. They are a relatively hassle-free way to remove wrinkles and fine lines to knock a couple of years from your face. So how do filler injections compare to other anti-aging treatments?
- Fillers don’t require any downtime. Like we’ve said, getting filler injections is a quick and easy procedure, and you don’t have to rest for an extended period afterward. For instance, let’s say you book an appointment at Kissing Camels Family Dentistry for the best Botox in Colorado Springs. Once the doctor is done with the procedure, you can walk out of the clinic on your own and drive home. You may experience some swelling for up to two days, but it will be barely noticeable.
- Fillers offer quick results.
- Fillers carry little to no risks. Although there are a few mild side effects that usually dissipate, filler injections are generally risk-free. You may experience prolonged redness, swelling, and mild bruising near the injection site, but these side effects will gradually disappear. Our friend, Dr. Kristina Neda, a botox dentist in Georgetown, KY, advises patients to discuss any allergies with their doctor so they can choose the brand of filler injection that suits you most.
- Fillers replenish facial volume and fill out wrinkles.
- Fillers can last up to 18 months.
Note that filler injections cannot remove lax skin and excess fat. You’ll have to opt for more advanced surgical procedures for these outcomes. However, if you’re looking to fill out your face and smooth out wrinkles in the short term, filler injections are the way to go. Contact Dr. Boals at Kissing Camels Family Dentistry today for the best Botox and fillers in Colorado Springs